Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Alignment Aid on Ball Marker

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Alignment Aid on Ball Marker

Postby Greg W » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:35 pm

On the putting green, a player marks his ball with a ball marker that has an obvious alignment aid on it. When he replaces his ball, he adjusts the marker so that the line on it points exactly down his intended line of putt and leaves his marker behind the ball while he makes a putting stroke. When asked about his intent he states that the line on the ball marker assists him to take his putter back directly on that line and also to return the putter back to the ball on that line when making a stroke. Is this a Rule 8-2 breach similar to Decision 8-2a/1 or is this a 14-3 breach for unusual equipment.

This link has a photo of a similar ball marker: http://groovefix.com/aline-ball-markerp ... e-28-p.asp.

First post on this site. While I've searched the forum to see if this has been addressed, I don't see exactly what I'm looking for. If I'm not searching correctly, let me know. I don't want to rehash something that's been discussed and resolved. Thanks in advance.
Greg W

Your location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Alignment Aid on Ball Marker

Postby Doug » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Welcome to the forum Greg.

Leaving the marker in situ is a breach of 8-2a or 2b depending whether the ball is off or on the green. See Decision 8-2a/2

It would not be considered to be unusual equipment or unusual use of equipment as it functions correctly as a ball marker providing it is removed before a stroke is made.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Return to Get a Ruling