Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ball lost in underground pipe

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Ball lost in underground pipe

Postby Mr. Bean » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 pm

A player hits their ball under a land bridge of a WH and into a pipe. Ball is not found. What to do?

Decision:

24-3b/1 Ball lost in underground drainpipe

Q. A player's ball goes into an underground drainpipe, but he cannot reach or identify it. What is the ruling?

A. An underground drainpipe or culvert is an obstruction. If it is known or virtually certain that the ball is in the immovable obstruction, the player may invoke Rule 24-3b. Under Rule 24-3b the ball is deemed to lie at the spot where it last crossed the outermost limits of the obstruction.

If the entrance to the underground drainpipe or culvert is in a water hazard, Rule 24-3b(iii) applies and the player is not entitled to relief without penalty and must proceed under Rule 26-1.

So, the player must proceed under Rule 26-1, but what is the reference point? Is it the spot where it last crossed the outermost limits of the obstruction or the spot where the ball crossed the margin between the WH and TTG ?
Mr. Bean

Your location: Finland, Vantaa

Re: Ball lost in underground pipe

Postby Doug » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 pm

If it is deemed to lie at the spot where it last crossed the outermost limits of the obstruction it must be touching the WH. It therefore is 'deemed' not to have exited the WH. The reference point is where it crossed into the WH.
IMO of course.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Colin L » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I agree. All that the outermost limit of the obstruction does is to determine where the ball lies. If it determines that it lies in a water hazard, it is no different from any other ball that lies in a particular place in a water hazard: where it lies has no significance in taking relief. The only point that does have significance is where it last crossed the margin of the water hazard.
Colin L

Your location: Edinburgh

Postby Mr. Bean » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm

My interpretation is the same as Doug's and Colin's, yet I wonder whether the point where the ball crossed the margin of the WH and the obstruction should not be the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the WH. After all, there must be a margin between the underground pipe and the WH.

Well, maybe I am just making this too complicated...
Mr. Bean

Postby Doug » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:08 pm

I think the expression 'last crossed the margin' implies 'into the WH'.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Mr. Bean » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:36 am

Doug wrote:I think the expression 'last crossed the margin' implies 'into the WH'.

Now, that is an excellent thought! clap clap clap After that I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever. Thank You!
Mr. Bean

Return to Get a Ruling