Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ball moved when marked

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Re: Ball moved when marked

Postby Thom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 am

This is my second attempt to respond to Adrian's post, don't know what happened to the first one.

I agree with Adrian that the player was justified in marking and that no penalty would apply. I also think that example fits directly into the list of exceptions in the last para of R18-2.

IMO, the outstanding question that RB material does not answer unambiguously is if the ball is in perfect position in a flat fairway and there is no logical reason whatsoever for a player to mark but the player does so anyway and moves his ball accidentally in the process of marking - breach or not? 18-2 appears to say yes; one possible reading of 20-1 says yes while a second possible reading of 20-1 says no.

IMO, RBs need to explain precisely what their drafting in 20-1 means.
Thom

Your location: Australia

Previous

Return to Get a Ruling