Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

club touching sand in bunker

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

club touching sand in bunker

Postby david » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:51 am

Good morning! With regards to above subject, I wish to query a point raised in an R&A Rules app on my phone; two ladies both land in a sand bunker, their balls being within 6-8 inches from each other. They ask for a ruling from the referee who duly obliges as follows; firstly,after determining which is the nearest ball to the hole, he informs that player she is allowed to lift the ball after marking its position but is not allowed to clean it. The lady does so using a tee and lifts the ball. He then tells the same lady to measure out a club length to the side using a club in the normal way and informs her that 'in this case she is allowed to rest the measuring club on the sand to do so' before moving the marker tee peg to its new position. Is he correct please because I thought you can never touch the sand with a club in any way prior to making your shot. Thankyou
david

Re: club touching sand in bunker

Postby Doug » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 am

Good Morning.

The exception to the rule (13-4) says:

1. Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player
(a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, in removing an obstruction, in measuring or in marking the position of, retrieving, lifting, placing or replacing a ball under any Rule or
(b) places his clubs in a hazard.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: club touching sand in bunker

Postby david » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks Doug for your prompt and concise reply. I never stop learning about this wonderful game of golf!!
david

Return to Get a Ruling