Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Decision 4-2/4

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Decision 4-2/4

Postby Divot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Good day,
Am I reading the penalty statement correctly: If a player used saliva on the club face in an attempt to add cut to his shot, that club would have to be have to be declared out of play or the player would be disqualified? Would the dq stand if the player didn't know he was in breach of a rule?
Divot
Divot

Re: Decision 4-2/4

Postby RJM » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:44 am

If the player makes a stroke with that club, he is dq'd. Same as for a ball (Rule 5).
For your second question, see Rule 6-1, no excuse.
RJM

Postby regole » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:45 am

Divot wrote:Would the dq stand if the player didn't know he was in breach of a rule?
Divot

If the player did not know he was in breach of a rule and he had not used the club, Rule 6-6c is applicable after returning his score card.
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Postby Divot » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks regale. (I think you mean 6-6d.) A DQ penalty still applies even with the exception to Rule 6d, and if ignorance can't save the player from DQ, even carrying the club without using it would still get the DQ penalty as the rule reads "must be declared out of play." So now I think the only way a player could avoid the DQ would be if he didn't know adding saliva was a penalty in the first place and, of course, didn't know declaring the club out of play was required, he could dodge any penalty if the breach were not discovered until after the competition was closed.
Divot
Divot

Postby regole » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 am

Divot wrote:. (I think you mean 6-6d.)

Yes sorry :wink:
Regards.,
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings