Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Lost ball marker

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Lost ball marker

Postby RJM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:49 am

What is your response to this situation, and how did you arrive at the response? No further information is available.

I marked my 40 – foot birdie putt with an old penny, then pulled the flag for one of my playing partners. But when it was my turn, I couldn’t find the mark, and after five minutes, I gave up the search. How should I proceed and is there a penalty incurred?
RJM

Re: Lost ball marker

Postby Doug » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:06 am

This has been debated many times and never satisfactorily resolved to my knowledge.

See here for an example

http://www.leithsociety.com/cgi-bin/bbs ... d;id=32622

Personally I favour 20-1/5.5
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby regole » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 am

Doug wrote:Personally I favour 20-1/5.5

Yes, I agree !!
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Postby RJM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:00 pm

In 20-1/5.5, there is factual information that the player moved the marker ("Subsequently, he found the ball-marker stuck to the sole of his shoe.")

In the current situation, there is no factual information, and I consider it wrong to penalize a player based on a referee's presumption, rather than facts.

I'm going with 20-3c(iii) - spot not determinable for a ball to be replaced. The player must estimate the spot and place his ball on that estimated spot.
RJM

Postby Mr. Bean » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:15 pm

An interesting question and I could not find any truly concrete solution from the link to LS (which I find extremely difficult to follow as a discussion...).

In my mind a relevant question is whether a player is responsible for finding the spot his ball was lifted from. Rule 20-1 says that it is the responsibility of a player to mark the position of his ball when lifting it. It seems only natural to assume this marking is to be made in a manner resulting finding that spot again. Thus the player should and must be responsible for finding the spot.

Naturally, the player is IMO to be exempted from penalty if there is KVC that an outside agency has taken the mark or there has been such a hurricane or similar that has caused the mark to disappear. In all other cases I would go behind 20-1 and give the player 1 PS.
Mr. Bean

Your location: Finland, Vantaa

Postby Mr. Bean » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:16 pm

An interesting question and I could not find any truly concrete solution from the link to LS (which I find extremely difficult to follow as a discussion...).

In my mind a relevant question is whether a player is responsible for finding the spot his ball was lifted from. Rule 20-1 says that it is the responsibility of a player to mark the position of his ball when lifting it. It seems only natural to assume this marking is to be made in a manner resulting finding that spot again. Thus the player should and must be responsible for finding the spot.

Naturally, the player is IMO to be exempted from penalty if there is KVC that an outside agency has taken the mark or there has been such a hurricane or similar that has caused the mark to disappear. In all other cases I would go behind 20-1 and give the player 1 PS.
Mr. Bean

Your location: Finland, Vantaa

Postby Doug » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Mr Bean

Does that mean 2 penalty strokes ? :wink:
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Mr. Bean wrote: Rule 20-1 says that it is the responsibility of a player to mark the position of his ball when lifting it. It seems only natural to assume this marking is to be made in a manner resulting finding that spot again. Thus the player should and must be responsible for finding the spot.

Exactly
Doug
Site Admin

Return to Get a Ruling