Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

MGA 2017 Q9

MGA 2017 Q9

Postby Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 am

9. In a match play event, a par-3 hole has its teeing ground located immediately behind a water hazard with an island putting green. A player’s tee shot lands on the greenside of the water hazard, rolls backwards, and is lost in the water hazard. He drops correctly under the water hazard rule, keeping the point at which the ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard between the hole and the place where he dropped a ball. In so doing he dropped the ball on the teeing ground.
Realizing he could have re-teed his ball under the stroke and distance
provision of the Rule, he lifts and tees his ball. He plays the teed ball onto the putting green. His first putt strikes his opponents ball lying on the putting green. He then completes the hole in one additional stroke.

What is his score for the hole?
A) 5
B) 6
C) 7
D) Loss of hole penalty.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: MGA 2017 Q9

Postby marcalex » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:47 pm

B) 6
I think he proceeded 2 times according 27-1
marcalex

Your location: Golf of Bussy

Postby marcalex » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 pm

marcalex wrote:B) 6

Not exactly.
I keep answer B) but I explain by 1 PS by R26-1b and a second one by S&D.
marcalex

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Agree second post.
Adrian Mackenzie

Your location: SP Brazil

Postby regole » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 pm

marcalex wrote:

Not exactly.

Hi marcalex,
A similar quiz proposed in 2016 by NCGA (Northern California Golf Association) the correct answer involves only one penalty stroke.
This is the ruling:

Stroke and distance penalty only. Rule 20-5 permits the player to play the ball from anywhere within the teeing ground. Even though the player intended to proceed under a Rule which did not permit him to move the ball once it was dropped, Rule 20-5 and 27-1 override in this case.

Also in that circumstance the player intended to proceed under Rule 26-1b-
What you think :?:
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:58 pm

I am a little doubtful.
Did the player elect or was he required to make his next stroke from where the previous stroke was made?
Doug
Site Admin

Postby regole » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Doug wrote:I am a little doubtful.
Did the player elect or was he required to make his next stroke from where the previous stroke was made?

Hi Doug,
This is the question:

A player plays from the teeing ground into a water hazard. He decides to proceed under Rule 26-1b and drops a ball on a line keeping the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard between the flagstick and where the ball is dropped. The spot happens to be on the teeing ground. Without realizing this, he moves the ball out of a small depression and plays the ball from a new spot that is within the teeing ground. How many penalty strokes does the player incur?

As you can see are formulated in a different way, but they are identical in contents.
regole

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:38 pm

regole wrote:
marcalex wrote:

Not exactly.

Hi marcalex,
A similar quiz proposed in 2016 by NCGA (Northern California Golf Association) the correct answer involves only one penalty stroke.
This is the ruling:

Stroke and distance penalty only. Rule 20-5 permits the player to play the ball from anywhere within the teeing ground. Even though the player intended to proceed under a Rule which did not permit him to move the ball once it was dropped, Rule 20-5 and 27-1 override in this case.

The OP states that he dropped the ball correctly under the water hazard rule. It also states that he realized he could have re-teed his ball under the stoke and distance provision of the rule, which is correct provided he had decided on this option before dropping the ball. Once he had dropped the ball, as it was a valid drop, the ball was in play.
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby regole » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Adrian Mackenzie wrote:

The OP states that he dropped the ball correctly under the water hazard rule.
Once he had dropped the ball, as it was a valid drop, the ball was in play.

Adriano apology, but also in the quiz NCGA the player dropped the ball correctly under the water hazard rule. Also in this case, once he had dropped the ball, as it was a valid drop, the ball was in play.
Imo I do not see any difference in the two situations, then certainly we must wait what he thinks MGA.
The only difference I see between the two situations is that in the MGA quiz the player was aware of being teeing ground, while that of NCGA the player it was not, but I think that this aspect is irrelevant for the ruling

Thanks e Regards
regole

Postby Imp » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:46 pm

If the player wanted to tee it, they should have done so before the drop. However, the ball *was* dropped and would have been the 3rd stroke at the ball from the dropped location. Player then improperly lifted a ball in play and incurs a penalty. Since it's Match play, they lost the hole. I'm thinking "D".

--kC
Imp

Your location: SE Mass

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Regole,

I would appreciate if you would copy the the NCGA question.
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby regole » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Adrian Mackenzie wrote:Regole,

I would appreciate if you would copy the the NCGA question.

Adrian,
the NCGA question find above in replay a Doug.
regole

Postby marcalex » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 pm

regole wrote:
Hi marcalex,
This is the ruling:

Hi Regole,

I can understand this ruling, R27-1 and R20-5 could be understood in this direction. But my feeling is that R20-4 in this case, with the intention of the player, are decisive.
I can not argue anymore :)
marcalex

Postby Doug » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 pm

B R19-5a, R26-1b, R27-1a, D18-2/1
Doug
Site Admin

Return to MGA Quiz 2017