Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

OB lost or not?

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Re: OB lost or not?

Postby RJM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:32 pm

I see nothing but 27-1 being the applicable Rule.
RJM

Postby Chippings » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:43 am

Rjm

I have repeated the relevant part of John's answer 16/09/2016 2.18.upon which I cannot improve and which should explain the matter clearly.

If you still have any problems understanding his answer then decision 18-2/8.5 also explains when rule27-1 is applied and when rule 13-1 is applied by the Committee.

Hope this helps!

dormie1360 wrote:
The provisional would be the ball in play if the OB were not found (without KVC).

In your case, the player assumed the OB was lost in the WH (R26) without KVC.

He therefore dropped under an inapplicable rule.

He should have played the Provisional under stroke and distance, applicable rule 27.

So he incorrectly substituted for the provisional dropping somewhere else. Assuming he knew the location of the Provisional he violated R13-1 by playing from a different place than where the provisional lay. Depending on whether or not he gained a significant advantage playing where the ball was dropped vs where the Provisional lay would determine whether or not there was a SB.

I would think if the player after dropping, found the OB within 5 minutes, he could apply R20-6 and continue with the OB.

.[/i][/color]

So the provisional A2 was in play 3 off the tee.

By substituting A3 for A2 ( not permitted) and substituting at the wrong place (13-1) the player incurred a further 2 stroke penalty and after playing A3 ,had played 6 shots.

Has the mist cleared :P
Chippings

Your location: Bristol

Postby RJM » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:01 pm

There is no mist where I'm standing.

I agree that Rule 26-1 is not applicable. In that case the Committee must assign an applicable Rule to the player's actions with ball A3. Which Rule has the Committee assigned?
RJM

Postby Chippings » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:16 pm

As the substituted ball A3 was dropped and played 3 metres behind the provisional ball A2
then it is almost certain that the location of the provisional ball A2 was known at the time of substitution of A3
If this is so the committee would assign 13-1

Only JMC can confirm the facts regarding "knowing the location"
:cry: .
Chippings

Your location: Bristol

Postby JMC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:26 pm

Chippings – facts are exactly those that you mention in your latest message (yes, location known)!
Cheers – JMC
JMC

Postby RJM » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:40 pm

My fault for answering the question about applicable Rule asked by Chippings.
RJM

Previous

Return to Get a Ruling