Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

MGA Q 5

MGA quiz 2014 moved into this section.

MGA Q 5

Postby Doug » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 pm

5. In stroke play, the Committee has not adopted a Local Rule allowing players to use devices to measure or gauge distance. Competitors A and B hit their drives and are approximately equidistant from the hole. Competitor A asks the referee whose turn it is to play. The referee, who is carrying a distance measuring device, tells A he is away. A then asks the referee how many yards he is to the flagstick and the referee answers. A takes three more strokes to hole out. A’s score for the hole is:

A) 4
B) 5
C) 6
D) A is disqualified.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: MGA Q 5

Postby dormie1360 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 am

My answer is "A".

Distance is public knowledge and not advice. The player did not use the device so I don't see a breach of R14-3.
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby edwjmcgrath » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Agree. No penalty for asking and no penalty for receiving, but only because it is the referee who tells him the yardage.
If he asks and receives yardage from an outside observer who has a DMD, he is complicit and is penalized. IMO.
edwjmcgrath

Your location: Naples FL

Postby Doug » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 pm

See 14-3/0.7
Doug
Site Admin

Postby dormie1360 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Doug wrote:See 14-3/0.7

Thanks Doug. I'm beginning to hate DMD questions.
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi Doug,

I readily admit to being unclear to all the nuances at present surrounding DMD's.

That said one way to inmprove that sitauation is to be directly be involved. Therfore, my answer here is one I am not sure or clear of.

After reading the question my initial answer was "A". However, after reading D14-3/0.7 you cited, I am still of the same opinion.

Firstly, in D14-3/0.7, the player was disqualified for usuing a DMD when not permitted by a Local Rule. The player in Q5 did no such thing. Secondly, he did not ask an OA, per se, to obtain such distance information.

I would appreciate your comments since having cited D14-3/0.7 you may be suggestingt the player in our Q5 should suffer the same penalty of disqualification

Regards,
Ron.
Ron

Postby Doug » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 am

Ron

I should have made it clear that I was referring to the last sentence of the decision.

Similarly, a player is not prohibited from obtaining distance information from scoreboards or from a referee (e.g., when using an artificial device to determine the order of play).
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Bean » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:02 pm

MGA's answer is D referring to D14-3/0.7.

A misprint or is there something weird we did not get?
Mr. Bean

Your location: Finland, Vantaa

MGA Q 5

Postby quincy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Of course I missed it too.

.... obtaining information without having requesed to do so applies to the referee too :wink:
quincy

Postby Wendy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I got this one wrong. I attended an MGA Rules Review this morning and had questions on #5. The other members of the Committee seem to interpret what actually happened quite differently than I do. As a result, we interpret Decision 14-3/0.7 differently.

I've contacted the writer of this question and we'll talk next week.
Wendy

Postby Mr. Bean » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Wendy wrote:I got this one wrong. I attended an MGA Rules Review this morning and had questions on #5. The other members of the Committee seem to interpret what actually happened quite differently than I do. As a result, we interpret Decision 14-3/0.7 differently.

I wonder how that Dec can be misunderstood in all its clearness...?
Mr. Bean

Postby regole » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:30 am

Wendy wrote:I got this one wrong. I attended an MGA Rules Review this morning and had questions on #5. The other members of the Committee seem to interpret what actually happened quite differently than I do. As a result, we interpret Decision 14-3/0.7 differently.

Hi All
MGA answer D is correct. clap
The key to this answer is the word 'similarly' in the decision,that perhaps to the majority of us has escaped. Since the player asked for/requested this info (v. w/o it being requested) he suffers the consequence (DQ).
Regards.
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Postby Mr. Bean » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 am

regole wrote:

Hi All
MGA answer D is correct.

The key to this answer is the word 'similarly' in the decision,that perhaps to the majority of us has escaped. Since the player asked for/requested this info (v. w/o it being requested) he suffers the consequence (DQ).
Regards.

Sounds pretty logic. However, in that case this interpretation creates a minor problem.

Once a referee measures distances to determine the order of play he does not have to (I certainly would not) say out loud the distances but the MGA interpretetation of that Decision indicates that some referees tend to do that. If in such an instance the player should ask for the distance from a referee who does NOT say them out loud it IMO would put the players in different positions depending on the referee. So either it should be allowed for the players to ask that distance from the referee or the referees should be forbidden to say them out loud. Personally I would go for the latter for concistency reasons.
Mr. Bean

Return to 2014 MGA Quiz