Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Question from another site

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Question from another site

Postby RJM » Mon May 18, 2015 7:00 pm

OK lets see if I can explain this clearly. A medal comp this weekend. The player on a par 3 puts his first ball in the water. He elects to play from the tee again. During his practice swing he catches the ball which flies into the bushes and is told by the other players he must play the ball as it lies. Is this correct? as I would have thought the ball was not in play? and he should have been able to tee up again.

Read more: http://www.golfmagic.com/forum/golf-rul ... z3aWBCAeio

With this reponse-
The ball was in play as it would not have been first stroke from the tee. But as the player wasn't making a stroke, the ball must be replaced (ie played again from the teeing ground) with another 1 stroke penalty.

Who's in agreement with that response? I'd suggest Decision 11-3/3 says otherwise - that the teed ball is not in play until a stroke is made at it?
RJM

Re: Question from another site

Postby Doug » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 pm

11-3/3 would appear to be the answer.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: Question from another site

Postby MikeH » Mon May 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Wow, some dodgy responses on the site :-)
People read stuff this this and think it's 100% correct and then pass it on to their mates and that's how golf rules myths begin.
MikeH

Your location: Nelson, New Zealand

Return to Get a Ruling