Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

OOB or LWH ?

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

OOB or LWH ?

Postby Handcart » Thu May 21, 2015 6:27 am

Hi All,
We have a situation growing at our club which if it goes ahead will create a great deal of uncertainty and various interpretations of the rules and I would like your views please.
Currently we have boundary ditches, defined by white stakes indicating OOB, around certain parts of the course. Running parallel with the said ditches is the hedgerow,separating the course and the farmers fields.
There is a feeling among some members that the white stakes should be changed to red. Here I think is where so much would be left to uncertainty and personal opinion as to whether a ball actually has gone OOB or entered a hazard.
What would be your thoughts on changing from OOB to a LWH ?
Many thanks

Handcart
Handcart

Your location: UK

Re: OOB or LWH ?

Postby Doug » Thu May 21, 2015 6:50 am

Whilst it may seem superficially to be a good idea, in that it may speed up play I agree with you that it will almost certainly cause many disputes (which will cost more time).

Players who previously would play a provisional will now say the ball is in the LWH. There will be arguments about 'is it in the LWH or has it gone into the hedge?'. For a club without spotters and/or referees it could be a nightmare.

We had a blind LWH some years ago where there were similar disputes as to the fate of a ball. We temporarily sorted it by allowing the grass to grow to 4-6" so players did not know if the ball was in unless they could actually see the ball. There was a notice on the tee 'instructing' players to take a provisional if the ball went into the 'blind' area and if they couldn't see it to continue with the provisional.
The area to both sides of the ditch have now been short mown and the bits of old hedge on the banks of the ditch removed so if it can't be seen outside, it is KVC to be in. But I fear your hedge and the crops in the next door field would be a big problem.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Handcart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:24 am

Doug
Many thanks - in your scenario you describe the area on both sides of the ditch as being mown - we would not be in a position to do this as the hedgerow prevents it. This would effectively mean that relief could only be taken from the point at which the ball is deemed to have last crossed and not the option of equal distance on the other? Hope this makes sense.
Regards
Handcart
Handcart

Postby Doug » Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 am

Handcart. Yes, a not unusual situation and why lateral water hazards were introduced.
The normal requirement of having to play over the water not being possible.

As it is impossible to get over the hedge and check if the ball is in the field or not, it means the player will never know or be virtually certain (KVC) that the ball is in the lateral water hazard. Therefore he will not be able to take relief but will have to use his provisional (if played) or go back whence he came.

You can see the protests being rehearsed. "It must be in the water, I didn't hit it hard enough to carry the hedge" etc
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Handcart » Thu May 21, 2015 9:39 am

Perfect Doug - many thanks.
Handcart

Postby Johanna » Thu May 21, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Handicart, another way to solve the problem is to make all of the ditch AND the hedge out of bounds, but I'm afraid that won't earn you Browny Points by the members.
Johanna Collinge
Johanna
Site Admin

Your location: Breda, the Netherlan

Postby Doug » Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 am

Johanna

That's what I thought it is currently.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Handcart » Thu May 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Both
Doug is correct
Handcart
Handcart

Postby Johanna » Thu May 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Handcart,
I thought it was a bit of this and a bit of that markering. But why not leave it as it is?
Johanna Collinge
Johanna
Site Admin

Your location: Breda, the Netherlan

Postby Handcart » Thu May 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi Johanna
This would be my preferred choice but we have to listen to members suggestions - even if they do not always makes sense. I think that this has been borne out of too many wayward shots ........
Regards
Handcart
Handcart

Postby RJM » Thu May 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Course markings should also be in accordance with the Rules and make it easy for the competitors to play within the Rules. Out of bounds is very easy to comply with; lateral water hazards in near proximity to out of bounds are much more difficult and prone to errors by players.
RJM

Return to Get a Ruling