Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Wind

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Wind

Postby MaxSchibli » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:03 am

Good Day,

I'd like to clarify a couple of questions.
According the Definitions wind is not an outside agency. OK sofar so good.

D. 18-2a/7 - (In stroke play) after a blow of wind, the ball should have been played where it came to rest

What about match play?

Competitor's ball is on the putting green, a couple of meters from the hole. A strong wind pushes the ball directly in the hole.
I understand that the competitor holed out with his last stroke, irrespective whether the stroke was made from outside the putting green or from within the putting green. Correct ?

A ball on the fairway or putting green was pushed by wind and came to rest not far away from its original position. Before the competitor played a stroke, the wind pushed the ball in another direction. What say please.

Please help. I am a bit confused about too much wind.
Thank you
Max
MaxSchibli

Re: Wind

Postby Doug » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 am

The basic principle is that as the individual criteria for any of the clauses of Rule 18 are not met, the Rule does not apply. The ball is played as it lies unless it was blown into the hole.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: Wind

Postby Ron » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello Max,
Nice to hear from you again.
Further to Doug's reply. My comments below in red.

MaxSchibli wrote:Good Day,

I'd like to clarify a couple of questions.
According the Definitions wind is not an outside agency. OK sofar so good.

D. 18-2a/7 - (In stroke play) after a blow of wind, the ball should have been played where it came to rest

What about match play? Loss of hole.

Competitor's ball is on the putting green, a couple of meters from the hole. A strong wind pushes the ball directly in the hole.
I understand that the competitor holed out with his last stroke, irrespective whether the stroke was made from outside the putting green or from within the putting green. Correct ? That is my understanding.

A ball on the fairway or putting green was pushed by wind and came to rest not far away from its original position. Before the competitor played a stroke, the wind pushed the ball in another direction. What say please.
The ball must be played from where it came to rest after being blown by the wind in a new direction.

Please help. I am a bit confused about too much wind.
Thank you
Max

I hope it helps.
Regards,
Ron.
Ron

Return to Get a Ruling