Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Directly attributable

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Re: Directly attributable

Postby Doug » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Exactly. The action was not necessary and was not an integral part of the process.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi Barry,
Interesting as ever.

999Q wrote:Thank you Adrian, I agree. Anyone else?
Barry

FWIW, I respectfully do NOT agree. The player's foot caused the ball to move not the object being removed. Which is how I interpret the phrase "directly attributable to..." Hence R18-2 applies.

In support I refer you to D23-1/11. I hope it helps.

Regards,
Ron.
Ron

Postby Doug » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:32 pm

clap
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Q8 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Perhaps I am late and jumping straight into deep end, but anyway.

I bet everybody remembers how the ruling went in Ian Poulter's case, when Poulter dropped his marker on the ball while marking it. To me that was more "directly attributable to..." than accidentally kicking the ball while removing MO.
Q8

Your location: KyG, Finland

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Q8, welcome to the forum. Better late than never :D

Q8 wrote:Perhaps I am late and jumping straight into deep end, but anyway.

I bet everybody remembers how the ruling went in Ian Poulter's case, when Poulter dropped his marker on the ball while marking it. To me that was more "directly attributable to..." than accidentally kicking the ball while removing MO.

I can see why it could be thus construed, but it is incorrect. Remember, the "specific act", in this instance, is to mark the position of the ball and D20-1/15 in fact uses these two very words as well. And the "directly attributable" element refers directly to the specific act of marking the ball.

D20-1/15 goes on to answer your incorrect interpretation by stating,,..." any accidental movement of the ball-marker which occurs before or after this specific act, such as dropping the ball or ball-marker, regardless of the height from which it was dropped, is not considered to be "directly attributable" and would result in the player incurring a penalty stroke".

I hope that clears it up for you.

Regards,
Ron.
Ron

Postby dormie1360 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:22 pm

I asked about this one today. Directly Attributable means the same thing in R20 and R24. The movement of the ball must be attributed to the direct action allowed under the rule.

Slipping, etc., and causing the ball to move would be a penalty.
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby Q8 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:07 am

Ron wrote:D20-1/15 goes on to answer your incorrect interpretation by stating,,..." any accidental movement of the ball-marker which occurs before or after this specific act, such as dropping the ball or ball-marker, regardless of the height from which it was dropped, is not considered to be "directly attributable" and would result in the player incurring a penalty stroke".

I hope that clears it up for you.

Thanks, my mind was already cleared by the ruling in Ian's case. But before that I might have ruled the other way.

edit, but thank you for bringing up the Decision!
Q8

Your location: KyG, Finland

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:13 pm

dormie1360 wrote:I asked about this one today. Directly Attributable means the same thing in R20 and R24. The movement of the ball must be attributed to the direct action allowed under the rule.

Slipping, etc., and causing the ball to move would be a penalty.

John,

Noted thanks. What I am not clear about is that R 24-1a it states that if the ball moves and it is directly attributable to the removal there is no penalty. There is no mention of it moving accidentally. The final sentence states otherwise R 18-2 applies. As there is no mention of accidental should one not refer to R18-2 which states before the bullet points that there is no penalty if a player [url]accidentally[/url] causes his ball to move in removing a moveable obstruction. I believe that if a player's foot on a steep slope slipped whilst he was in the process of lifting an IO it would be accidental. I accept that I am in a strict minority so I shall call time out any maybe I will change my mind.
Adrian Mackenzie

Your location: SP Brazil

Previous

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings