Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

DeChambeau Ruling

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

DeChambeau Ruling

Postby Moises » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi all:
Did anybody see the ruling Bryson DeChambeau had friday at the 18th hole of The Masters? I must admit I didn't understand anything about it :shock: I thought that gate was a IO and I don't know why they treated the situation like an unplayable ball because the penalty stroke wasn't included on his scorecard. Any clue?
Thanks in advance
Moises

Your location: Spain

Re: DeChambeau Ruling

Postby dormie1360 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:37 am

It was a TIO, although I had the same questions as below.

http://www.farbtalk.com/
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby Moises » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:14 am

A TIO? :shock: There was a wall, and a gate, and that was NOT temporary :shock: It clearly was a IO. Even if we "believe" it was a TIO, as stated in that web, DeChambeau should have placed the ball in the right side of the road after his 2nd drop :shock:
The Masters Comitee, again. Reminds me Ernie Els and the GUR at 13th hole many years ago.
Thanks
Moises

Postby RJM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Moises wrote:A TIO? :shock: There was a wall, and a gate, and that was NOT temporary :shock: It clearly was a IO. Even if we "believe" it was a TIO, as stated in that web, DeChambeau should have placed the ball in the right side of the road after his 2nd drop :shock:
The Masters Comitee, again. Reminds me Ernie Els and the GUR at 13th hole many years ago.
Thanks

While the building and gate are permanent and would normally be an IO, there was a concession area attached to the other side. The Committee obviously chose to deem the entire area a TIO. They also chose to provide relief on either side of that TIO (permitted by the TIO local Rule).

Regarding drops - the first drop did not satisfy Rule 20-2a, therefore does not count as a drop (the ball was dropped into the one club length area where interference still exists - local Rule for TIO). The referee concluded that after the next drop, the ball did not roll and come to rest more than two club lengths from where it first struck the course, then provided relief from the cart path.

I think it's incorrect to criticize The Masters Committee - the Committee is comprised of top Rules officials, including from the PGA Tour (Mark Russell et all) and European Tour (John Paramor, Andy McPhee et al).
The ruling Els received on the GUR was correct.
RJM

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:50 pm

RJM

I agree with your comment about the Committee especially as they were not even involved as it was under the guidance of the referee. From the footage it appeared to be about a club length from the outer tee to the cart path and on the second drop the ball struck the ground about a foot beyond this tee nearer to the cart path which would give about two feet from where the ball struck the ground to the cart path. I do not know how wide the cart path is but it seemed to me that when the ball finally came to rest on the cart path, the ball was much nearer to the left hand edge of the cart path than it was to the right hand edge. Bearing in mind that the ball rolled about two feet to reach the cart path, I believe that there may well have been a case of having to re-drop the ball when taking the TIO relief as it had rolled more than two club lengths. I am well aware that camera angles can be deceptive.
Adrian Mackenzie

Your location: SP Brazil

Postby Moises » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 pm

RJM, not need to be so corporatism :wink: :wink: Referees are human and also make mistakes. The best thing is to admit them, as at the Solheim Cup 2013 :? It seems clear that the ball rolled more than 2 clubs lenght and Bryson had to re-drop. And many people (me too) think that the Masters Comitee did an awful job with the "Tiger Ruling" in 2013 :oops:
Cheers
https://youtu.be/4GWs4wNFPHc
Moises

Postby RJM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "corporatism"; but I am a big supporter of "getting it right", which is also supported by that Committee. They were right on the Els gur situation, and also right on the Tiger situation. It seems that you have a "mad on" for the Committee at The Masters?
RJM

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings