Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

GUR

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

GUR

Postby ETP » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi guys,
I have been reading and re-reading Decisions 18-2a/8.5 and 25-1c/3 and trying to find a logic between and behind them. Am I correct in saying that according to Dec 18-2a/8.5 I am not entitled to relief from GUR if I have already played my ball as it lies from that GUR outside of the GUR and I drop it back to the same GUR? Then again if I do the same but the first stroke from the GUR ends up inside of this GUR, I am allowed to relief after drop according to Dec 25-1c/3 ?
If this is true, what about hitting a ball from GUR out of bounds? After drop is there a relief or not?
ETP

Your location: Austria

Re: GUR

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:12 pm

ETP wrote:Hi guys,
I have been reading and re-reading Decisions 18-2a/8.5 and 25-1c/3 and trying to find a logic between and behind them. Am I correct in saying that according to Dec 18-2a/8.5 I am not entitled to relief from GUR if I have already played my ball as it lies from that GUR outside of the GUR and I drop it back to the same GUR?

Once you have played the ball from the GUR and it now lies outside the GUR, you are not entitled to relief from the GUR.
If you then do drop a ball in the GUR, the second or third paras of the answer to 18-2/8.5 apply.

Then again if I do the same but the first stroke from the GUR ends up inside of this GUR, I am allowed to relief after drop according to Dec 25-1c/3 ?

Yes

If this is true, what about hitting a ball from GUR out of bounds? After drop is there a relief or not?

Yes. As your dropped ball is now in the GUR you may take relief from the GUR.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby ETP » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Thank´s Doug, so far I´m on the map. Is it correct to say that if I choose to make a drop back into the GUR, I won´t get a relief. But if my only choice is to drop back there, then I may take relief. (let´s forget the 18-2a/8.5 situation here).
ETP

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Have you already played from the GUR? Did your ball go OOB or finish in a water hazard or in an unplayable position? Are you taking relief from something? Why would you want to drop in the GUR?

However, if your ball is in GUR you would be entitled to take free relief but there may be other penalties involved.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby ETP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:35 am

Doug wrote:Have you already played from the GUR? Did your ball go OOB or finish in a water hazard or in an unplayable position? Are you taking relief from something? Why would you want to drop in the GUR?

However, if your ball is in GUR you would be entitled to take free relief but there may be other penalties involved.

Yes, I have already played from the GUR and I would like to know if there is a difference when I want/have to drop again to the GUR:
- under R27-1 when my ball has gone OOB
- under R28 when the only option available is a.
- under R28 when also other options were available but for any reason I wish to take stroke and distance

Are the Dec 18-2a/8 and 8.5 to be interpreted so that the player should have had to drop first into the GUR and if the drop would have been proper and the ball would have rested inside the GUR, there would have been a relief option available in both cases? As he did not drop according to R27-1, that could not have been the applicable rule either? If this is true, then I have found the light. I think...
ETP

Postby Doug » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

As the ball was in the GUR when the last stroke was made, the first two situations you describe above involve playing under stroke and distance.
The ball must therefore be played from the position where it was last played. ie from the GUR.

In third case the player may drop anywhere that the rule specifies. The rules do nor specify that this may not be in GUR. So the player may drop in the GUR.

In all cases, the fact that the ball has previously been played from the GUR is irrelevant. Relief is now available for this new situation.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby ETP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Doug wrote:As the ball was in the GUR when the last stroke was made, the first two situations you describe above involve playing under stroke and distance.
The ball must therefore be played from the position where it was last played. ie from the GUR.

In third case the player may drop anywhere that the rule specifies. The rules do nor specify that this may not be in GUR. So the player may drop in the GUR.

In all cases, the fact that the ball has previously been played from the GUR is irrelevant. Relief is now available for this new situation.

Isn´t this a contradiction between these two sentences?
ETP

Postby Doug » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Sorry. I should have made it clearersaid - the player must return to the place from where it was last played. He may play it from there (the GUR) but relief is now available for this new situation.

The last sentence was supposed to apply to all three new situations if the ball is in the GUR.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby ETP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Ok. Thank´s for your patience Doug. Would you still confirm the following to be right: "Are the Dec 18-2a/8 and 8.5 to be interpreted so that the player should have had to drop first into the GUR and if the drop would have been proper and the ball would have rested inside the GUR, there would have been a relief option available in both cases? As he did not drop according to R27-1, that could not have been the applicable rule either?"
ETP

Postby Doug » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Correct.

Incidentally, the decisions are 18-2/8 and 18-2/8.5.
I think you are looking at last year's book.

Rule 18-2b has been removed and 18-2a has been renumbered 18-2.
Doug
Site Admin

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings