Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Placing a ball

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Placing a ball

Postby Divot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Rule 20-3a tells us "A ball to be placed under the rules must be placed by the player or his partner." Examples include placing a ball on a tee, placing a ball under 20-3b when the lie was known and was altered, after a re-drop under 20-2c, on a green under 20-5. Are these examples correct and what are some other examples?
Divot
Divot

Re: Placing a ball

Postby Doug » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Why do think they may be wrong?
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby RJM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Divot wrote:Rule 20-3a tells us "A ball to be placed under the rules must be placed by the player or his partner." Examples include placing a ball on a tee, placing a ball under 20-3b when the lie was known and was altered, after a re-drop under 20-2c, on a green under 20-5. Are these examples correct and what are some other examples?
Divot

I would debate that placing a ball on tee falls under 20-3a. I think a ball may be teed by anyone.
RJM

Postby Divot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:52 am

Hi all,
I'm just looking for more examples of when a ball is placed under the rules. I would agree that teeing the ball does not fall under 20-3a.
Divot
Divot

Postby Doug » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:20 am

RJM wrote:
Divot wrote:Rule 20-3a tells us "A ball to be placed under the rules must be placed by the player or his partner." Examples include placing a ball on a tee, placing a ball under 20-3b when the lie was known and was altered, after a re-drop under 20-2c, on a green under 20-5. Are these examples correct and what are some other examples?
Divot

I would debate that placing a ball on tee falls under 20-3a. I think a ball may be teed by anyone.

Do you mean specifically on a tee or on the teeing ground? In either case, why?
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Chippings » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:37 am

Rjm is correct.

Divot - rule 20-3 is more about the procedure and method of placing/ replacing rather than the rules which require you to place.

You can add the following re rules that require the player to place.
R6-8d ( part), Rule 18 note 1 ( which encompasses 15-3a and 15-3b),
part of -19-1a 19-2 19-3 19-4 all involving putting green)
There are others--- but I am not going to do all the work for you.
It is more important to learn the rules and the principle and logic of placing than to try and memorise all the examples for only then will will you be prepared when suddenly confronted by an unexpected scenario.( and perhaps an unexpected response? :P
Chippings

Your location: Bristol

Postby RJM » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Doug wrote:
RJM wrote:
Divot

Do you mean specifically on a tee or on the teeing ground? In either case, why?

As written, I mean "placing" a ball on a tee (Appendix IV for definition). Placing a ball on the teeing ground when starting a hole also does not fall under Rule 20-3a and may be done by anyone. Rule 11 specifically avoids using the word "place".
RJM

Postby Doug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Divot

What was the significance of the question?
Doug
Site Admin

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings