Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ball-marker moved by opponents ball in motion

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Ball-marker moved by opponents ball in motion

Postby 999Q » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

Am I correct in deducing from Decision 20-1/7 that if a player's ball-marker is moved off its spot by an opponent's ball in motion, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke and the ball-marker must be replaced?

Barry
999Q

Your location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Ball-marker moved by opponents ball in motion

Postby Wendy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

Barry,

I certainly don't read 20-1/7 to apply to a ball in motion. It's no different, IMHO, than a ball being moved by a ball in motion. In match play, no penalty. Replace the ball. Opponent's ball played from where it comes to rest.
Wendy

Postby 999Q » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Of course, R19-5. Silly me!
Thanks Wendy.
999Q

Re: Ball-marker moved by fellow competitor's ball in motion

Postby MikeH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Out of interest are we to deduce if this was stroke play there would be a 2sp?? assuming of course events occur on the green
MikeH

Your location: Nelson, New Zealand

Postby 999Q » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Mike,

I am pleased that you have asked, because the same thought occurred to me after I posted, but I was too embarrassed to follow up :oops:

We know that the player's ball is out of play and that their ball-marker is not equipment, but if R19-5 is used to absolve an opponent from penalty in the circumstance of the OP, surely that means that in stroke play a fellow competitor would be penalised. I don't think so, but why not?

Barry
999Q

Re: Ball-marker moved by fellow competitor's ball in motion

Postby MikeH » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:00 am

Barry, my precise same thoughts, however I'm trying to get my head around which Rule would apply to say not. We know in stroke play lifting a FC ball or marker incurs no penalty but a player's ball in motion striking a ball at rest [both on the green] does....so how does striking the marker differ??
MikeH

Postby Doug » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:08 am

Not a silly question but why are ball markers generally flat?
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby don » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am

Not a question that I have come across before, Just for the exercise I would like to solve this one.
Lets go back to the reason that there is a penalty in SP but not in MP, it is because a ball on the PG could be in a position to assist a FC. To protect the field from this the rules impose a penalty, in MP there is no need to protect the field as the opponent is on hand to protect himself by lifting his ball or asking for the ball to be lifted.
If there is an advantage to be gained from the ball striking a ball marker, in equity, I believe a penalty should be imposed. Not to forget that a ball marker could be a fairly large object that could be just as advantageous as a ball. may be daft to say but a ball marker could be another ball!!!!! ( Me and hyperbole again)
Don
If you see a bomb disposal expert running, keep up with him!
don
Site Admin

Your location: Pennard

Postby Chippings » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:38 pm

999q
Rule 19-5 does not apply to a ball in motion being deflected by a ball marker( Which meets the test of not being equipment).
The rule that does apply and confirms that there is no penalty is the first sentence of 19-1.
Chippings

Your location: Bristol

Postby MikeH » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Agreed R19-1 deals with the ball being deflected by the ball marker...no issue. In the OP and then extended to s/play we question the fact that the ball marker is moved by a ball in motion. Sort of the opposite way round :-)
MikeH

Postby regole » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:58 am

Chippings wrote:999q
Rule 19-5 does not apply to a ball in motion being deflected by a ball marker( Which meets the test of not being equipment).
The rule that does apply and confirms that there is no penalty is the first sentence of 19-1.

Agreed see D.20-1/17
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings