Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Decisions 23-1/7.5 and /8

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Decisions 23-1/7.5 and /8

Postby Divot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:52 pm

HI all,
I've read these two decisions multiple times, and I can't sort out the difference; they, in fact, seem contradictory. In both, the moving the loose impediment may well have caused the ball to move, but in one the loose impediment does not need to be replaced and not in the other. Can someone provided me with an example or two that helps me understand the differences.
Divot
Divot

Re: Decisions 23-1/7.5 and /8

Postby Doug » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 am

7.5 is about an LI that moves as a result of moving the ball. ie it was incidental. But it incurs a penalty.
8 is about an LI that didn't move when the ball was moved but was moved deliberately before the ball was replaced.
If the latter was permitted, the player would not run the risk of incurring the penalty.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Wendy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Doug,

Where/how do you read in 23-1/7.5 that a penalty is incurred? I don't see it that way. An example: I'm asked to lift my ball through the green under Rule 22. In the process a loose impediment moves. I am not required to replace the LI and I incur no penalty. Agreed?
Wendy

Postby Doug » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:16 pm

Wendy
You are right of course. Completely missed the qualification "where a Rule requires the ball to be replaced"
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings