Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

MGA 2017 Q22

MGA 2017 Q22

Postby Doug » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 am

22. In the first round of a three-round singles match play competition, two opponents privately agree that Player A will tee off first on each of the first nine holes, and Player B will tee off first on the remaining holes. On the second tee, Players C and D, grouped with A and B and involved in a separate match in the same tournament, notice that Player A just teed off out of turn. Player A and B explain their agreement, and Player C suggests that this is a violation. A and B are concerned about this possibility but decide to ignore C’s objection. Immediately after the round, C complains to the Committee.

What is the ruling?
A) The result of the match between Player A and B stands since there is no penalty in the Rules for violating the order of play in a match (other than the option for an opponent to immediately require the offending player to replay his stroke).
B) The result of the match between Player A and B stands since neither was certain that their agreement was illegal.
C) Players A and B are disqualified from the tournament.
D) Player A is disqualified and Player B wins the match.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Re: MGA 2017 Q22

Postby marcalex » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm

C) Players A and B are disqualified from the tournament. ?
marcalex

Your location: Golf of Bussy

Postby Imp » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:03 pm

A) In match play, the only penalty for not following honors is that the FC *may* ask the opponent to recall the shot. It's an option that neither wished to take. Alt answer: Ready golf anyone? Alt-Alt Answer: E) I don't want to ever play with C.

--kC
Imp

Your location: SE Mass

Postby marcalex » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Imp wrote:A) In match play, the only penalty for not following honors is that the FC *may* ask the opponent to recall the shot. It's an option that neither wished to take. Alt answer: Ready golf anyone? Alt-Alt Answer: E) I don't want to ever play with C.

--kC

Hi Imp,
What do you think about D10-1c/3 ?
marcalex

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:31 pm

C) 1-3
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Imp » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:44 pm

marcalex wrote:
Imp wrote:A) In match play, the only penalty for not following honors is that the FC *may* ask the opponent to recall the shot. It's an option that neither wished to take. Alt answer: Ready golf anyone? Alt-Alt Answer: E) I don't want to ever play with C.

--kC

Hi Imp,
What do you think about D10-1c/3 ?

D10-1c/3 assumes one or both players are playing with strict adherence to honors. In Q22, it is said they are not, by A going 1st on the front and B on the back.

The penalty for playing out of order is what? There isn't one.

There's an option, though, up to a players discretion to MAKE the player cancel the stroke.

Another way to look at it:
Both players have agreed to not take the OPTION of replaying a shot played out of order, on every hole of their match.

1st through 9th holes, A goes 1st. B says "nice shot, even you played out of turn, I choose not to enforce 10-1c, because that is my option."
10th through 18th holes, B goes 1st. A says "nice shot, even you played out of turn, I choose not to enforce 10-1c, because that is my option."

They are not waiving a rule, because the rule leaves the option of enforcement up to the other player. They recognize the rule exists (10-1), and are abiding by part of 10-1c by not electing to make the other player cancel the stroke. If both players agree to not enforce an option allowed by a rule, they are, in fact, following the rule.

--kC
Imp

Your location: SE Mass

Postby marcalex » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Imp,

I understand your point of view but see rule 1-3 :

1-3. Agreement to Waive Rules
Players must not agree to exclude the operation of any Rule or to waive any penalty incurred
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 1-3:
Match play – Disqualification of both sides;

Rule 1-3 applies if players exclude the operation of any Rule, not only if they waive any penalty incurred.
Maybe the fact that there is no penalty according R10-1c is not relevant here ?
marcalex

Postby Doug » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 pm

C R10-1, R1-3
Doug
Site Admin

Return to MGA Quiz 2017