Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Identifying an opponent's ball

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Identifying an opponent's ball

Postby 999Q » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 pm

In singles match play, A and B's balls are lying close together. A bends down and rotates the ball that is slightly farther from the hole to identify whether it is his. It is not and so it is B's turn to play. What is the ruling and why?
a) No penalty is incurred, Rule 18-3a.
b) A is penalised one stroke under Rule 12-2.
c) A is penalised one stroke under Rule 18-3b.
d) A loses the hole under Rule 12-2.

Barry
999Q

Your location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Identifying an opponent's ball

Postby RJM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:19 pm

a) 18-3a is not applicable as they were not searching.
b) 12-2 applies if it's the player's ball
c) right answer
d) neither 12-2 nor 18-3b is a loss of hole penalty - one stroke only
RJM

Postby Chippings » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:32 am

Just to provide some extra support I agree that C is the correct answer as provided by RJM.

The reason - for touching a ball other than provided in the rules.(Dec 12-2/2 wording)

Interestingly if the ball belonged to the player- decision 12-2/2 states that the rule that is breached is 18-2 and not 12-2"

Your question on this matter would appear to be an off shoot from an earlier similar thread that you raised last year?

If no referee was present ,and you were player B , you could ignore the breach in the same way as you graciously suggested before.
Chippings

Your location: Bristol

Postby MikeH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Barry was there a claim? no claim no penalty...or did I miss something?
MikeH

Your location: Nelson, New Zealand

Postby 999Q » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Apologies for going missing on this post. By mistake, I posted the original in the wrong forum and I had not realised that the correction had been made (thanks Don).

The question arose from a similar scenario in one of my 'Rhodes Rules School' issues. I had correctly referenced Rule 18-3b for a penalty of one stroke in my answer, but was challenged by a subscriber who claimed, "as there is a breach of 12-2 and it's match play, is the penalty not loss of hole?" I was looking for confirmation that I was correct and threw in the other 'possibles' to provide a little more brain exercise. For example, on a less expert forum someone might suggest that the player was 'searching' for their ball when they touched their opponent's ball to see if it was theirs.

Barry
999Q

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Barry,

The general penalty of loss of hole could only relate to the player's ball, not to the opponent's ball.
Adrian Mackenzie

Your location: SP Brazil

Postby marcalex » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:21 am

Adrian Mackenzie wrote:Barry,

The general penalty of loss of hole could only relate to the player's ball, not to the opponent's ball.

Hi all,

It's also my feeling.
marcalex

Your location: Golf of Bussy

Postby Q8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm

I gather that if the player had marked the ball there would not have been a breach (unless the ball would be cleaned by turning)?
Q8

Your location: KyG, Finland

Postby 999Q » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Q8, not quite! In order to avoid a penalty A would have had to follow the strict procedure set out in Rule 12-2 for identifying a ball, which includes announcing his intention to his opponent.

Barry
999Q

Postby Q8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

999Q wrote:Q8, not quite! In order to avoid a penalty A would have had to follow the strict procedure set out in Rule 12-2 for identifying a ball, which includes announcing his intention to his opponent.

Barry

Sorry, by marking I meant going through the whole procedure.
Q8

Your location: KyG, Finland

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Barry,

Q8, not quite! In order to avoid a penalty A would have had to follow the strict procedure set out in Rule 12-2 for identifying a ball, which includes announcing his intention to his opponent.

The fourth paragraph of R 12-2 states..... If the ball is the player´s ball and he fails to comply with all or any part of the procedure etc. As it was not his ball and he was entitled to lift the ball to identify it, there is no penalty in my opinion.
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby RJM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Adrian, which one of the four choices in the original post is your answer?
The only choice with no penalty is "a", so you're saying the player was searching for his opponent's ball (Rule 18-3a)? I can't buy that he was searching.
Remember, it is match play, and there is a penalty for purposely touching an opponent's ball in match play (Rule 18-3b).
RJM

Postby dormie1360 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

999Q wrote:Apologies for going missing on this post. By mistake, I posted the original in the wrong forum and I had not realised that the correction had been made (thanks Don).

The question arose from a similar scenario in one of my 'Rhodes Rules School' issues. I had correctly referenced Rule 18-3b for a penalty of one stroke in my answer, but was challenged by a subscriber who claimed, "as there is a breach of 12-2 and it's match play, is the penalty not loss of hole?" I was looking for confirmation that I was correct and threw in the other 'possibles' to provide a little more brain exercise. For example, on a less expert forum someone might suggest that the player was 'searching' for their ball when they touched their opponent's ball to see if it was theirs.

Barry
Adrian Mackenzie wrote:Barry,

The general penalty (loss of hole) under R12-2, is for a ball not replaced or a ball that is not recovered with LI's when required to do so. Doesn't sound to me like the situation described requires either.
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby 999Q » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Time for a recap. I think that we are all agreed that c) is the correct answer to the original question. Q8 then changed the question, suggesting that there would not have been any penalty if A had marked the ball before rotating it to discover that it was not his ball. I answered that in order to avoid a penalty in match play A would have to follow the procedure in Rule 12-2. If he failed to follow this procedure and it was his ball he incurred a penalty of one stroke under Rule 12-2; and if it was his opponent's ball he incurred a penalty of one stroke under Rule 18-3b; if it was neither A or B's ball, no penalty was incuurred.

Barry
999Q

Postby Doug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

999Q wrote:In singles match play, A and B's balls are lying close together. A bends down and rotates the ball that is slightly farther from the hole to identify whether it is his. It is not and so it is B's turn to play. What is the ruling and why?
a) No penalty is incurred, Rule 18-3a.
b) A is penalised one stroke under Rule 12-2.
c) A is penalised one stroke under Rule 18-3b.
d) A loses the hole under Rule 12-2.

Barry

12-2 uses the word 'lifts' - he didn't
18-3b uses the word 'moves' - he did
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby 999Q » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Doug,

Not for the first time I am having trouble in understanding one of your cryptic replies!

I presume that you are making the point that if A marked the ball and rotated it, without lifting it and without notifying his opponent; and identified that it was his ball he would have incurred the penalty of one stroke under Rule 18-2(i), [not 18-3b as in your post!] and not Rule 12-2, as I suggested, because he moved it, but did not lift it.

OK!

Barry
999Q

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm

I replied earlier before Barry
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

I replied earlier before Barry but it seems to have gone astray.

12-2 uses the word 'lifts' - he didn't
18-3b uses the word 'moves' - he did
Doug
Site Admin

R 18-3 b ...... touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the Rules.......

R 12-2 My understanding of R 12-2 is to permit the player to move his ball in order to identify it. This may mean he lifts , rotates it or rolls it to one side. I do not believe that it means that the ball can only be lifted, so I am still of the opinion that as it was not the player's ball , he was not in breach of moving his ball.
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby Doug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Adrian

Oops. I missed 12-2/2

18-3b it is.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Barry,

What is your opinion now in view of subsequent posts?
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby 999Q » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Adrian,

The answer to my original question was c) A is penalised one stroke under Rule 18-3b.

I stand by my answer dated 20th March to the slightly revised question;
If he failed to follow this procedure and it was his ball he incurred a penalty of one stroke under Rule 12-2; and if it was his opponent's ball he incurred a penalty of one stroke under Rule 18-3b; if it was neither A or B's ball, no penalty was incurred.
Barry
999Q

Postby Adrian Mackenzie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Barry,

R 18-3b states that if an opponent moves the ball of a fellow competitor, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the rules, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke.
Under R 12-2 if a player is unable to identify his ball he is entitled to lift the ball. Although it states lifting, I am of the opinion that he is entitled to move the ball i.e. it covers lifting, rotating and rolling and is not restricted to lifting.
If the player does not follow all or part of the procedure to be carried out under R 12-2, he incurs a penalty of one stroke if the ball is his. As it was not then in my opinion there is no penalty.

Adrian
Adrian Mackenzie

Postby Thom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 am

R 18-3b states that if an opponent moves the ball of a fellow competitor, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the rules, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke.
Adrian
You highlight above 'except as otherwise provided in the rules'. However in the question the behavior of the opponent is not consistent with the permission provided in R12-2 because he failed to mark the ball. Consequently, he has no protection and R18-3 applies (1SP) to his action of rotating his opponents ball (even though, in this case, he has not 'moved' the opponent's ball within the definition of 'moved'). Similarly, if he had marked and lifted but failed to announce etc, a breach of R18-3 still applies.
Thom

Your location: Australia

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings