Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Handicap from a wrongly marked card

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Handicap from a wrongly marked card

Postby gary621 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am

I recently played in a medal competition and submitted a No Return as I did not finish 2 holes. I did mark the remaining 16 holes as I was trying to get into the buffer zone. As two holes were NR I didn't count the score I signed the card and submitted it. When the results were later posted it showed I had signed for a 6 on one hole when I actually shot a 5. That error meant I missed the buffer by 1 and I got a 0.1 lift. I reported the error but the committee said the score had to stand. It seems strange that I can potentially benefit by making an error on the card by getting a lift. I understand the score should stand for the competition but it seems wrong to stand for handicapping. Is this right?
gary621

Your location: England

Re: Handicap from a wrongly marked card

Postby don » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 am

I think this is one for Doug!
If you see a bomb disposal expert running, keep up with him!
don
Site Admin

Your location: Pennard

Postby regole » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 am

gary621 wrote:..........I understand the score should stand for the competition but it seems wrong to stand for handicapping. Is this right?

Rule 6-6d may be helpful.
regole

Your location: Cagliari / Sardegna

Postby Colin L » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 am

CONGU regulations list examples where scores are to be accepted for handicap even though a player has been disqualified for various reasons. They include entering a score lower than he actually made, provided it wasn't premeditated. As the opposite where the score entered is lower than actually taken is not a DQ matter, it obviously isn't mentioned and if there is any reference to it elsewhere in the regs, I don't know where.

Since it is the correct score of the disqualified player that is used for handicap adjustment, I would apply the same principle to the player who enters a higher score than taken. What matters is that to be consistent with other players' handicap adjustments, Gary's should be made on his actual score. It could be significant. That 0.1 increase could be the one that moves his playing handicap up a stroke.

Doug, however, is much more experienced this than I and may have a different view.
Colin L

Your location: Edinburgh

Postby Doug » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:23 pm

I can confirm that the score on the physical card stands for handicap purposes.

If the card was correct but the wrong figure entered into the computer system in error, it must be corrected to the card score.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby Colin L » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:11 am

[quote="Doug"]I can confirm that the score on the physical card stands for handicap purposes.....

I find that surprising - but helpful, of course. I thought my reasoning was reasonable.
Colin L

Your location: Edinburgh

Postby gary621 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 am

It seems an anomaly and a little unfair on the rest of the field but I suppose it is only 0.1 although there will be a point when the 0.1 means I will have a shot extra which seems unfair, against the spirit of the game, owning up to the error and declaring the foul on yourself doesn't work in this situation, definitely feels wrong to me I will be thinking about it the day I have the extra shot let's hope I don't win by 1.

Thanks for all the comments
gary621

Your location: England

Postby Doug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:58 am

It would appear to be an oversight.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Return to Get a Ruling