Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

D 24-2b/17

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

D 24-2b/17

Postby JMC » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I would appreciate a clarification re above Decision. Part of this Decision's answer states:

"The player may then use a normal right-handed swing for his next stroke.
If the obstruction interferes with the swing or stance for the right-handed
stroke, the player may take relief for the right-handed stroke in accordance
with Rule 24-2b(i)."
My question:
Am I right in assuming that the player shall get relief regardless of which club he uses and he is not limited to the club originally selected (for a left-handed stroke) ?

Any situation where the player could not use any club (still assuming there is interference)?

Thanks and regards – JMC
JMC

Re: D 24-2b/17

Postby Doug » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:09 pm

JMC wrote:Am I right in assuming that the player shall get relief regardless of which club he uses and he is not limited to the club originally selected (for a left-handed stroke) ?

Yes. But he doesn't have to take relief for this new interference.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby JMC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:22 am

Thank you Doug for your reply. Plse, just one more confirmation.
Example: after having selected a 6 iron to play left-handed in order to get relief from the interference, he now can play right-handed. There is now no interference in playing right-handed with a 6 iron, however there would be interference with a 4 wood.
Question: the player can take relief for an interference with the 4 wood and he is not compelled to play with his 6 iron?
Thank you and have a good day! JMC
JMC

Postby Thom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 am

Doug answered fully with 'Yes', but to expand the explanation - there is no constraint on the club selection for the second relief situation. Having correctly taken relief in the initial situation (which means after the first drop, there is no continuing interference for a left handed shot with the 6 iron), the ball is in play and it is now a completely fresh situation. Once again, the player is entitled to relief if there is interference with the shot he would now make if the condition was not there. D20-2c/0.8 touches on some similar issues.

Sometimes the rules work in your favour, other times they bite you.
Thom

Your location: Australia

Postby JMC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:23 am

Thank you Thom for your explanation. The reason I was coming back to my original question is because I was aware of a situation as described in D 20-2c/0.7 and /0.8 but could not find these Decision anymore. Now it's clear again – thanks! :D
JMC

Return to Get a Ruling