Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

R 7-1

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

R 7-1

Postby JMC » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Just to make sure I understand R 7-1 correctly, can you plse confirm that the following statement is correct (stroke play).

A competition is being played over 9 holes (from 10 to 18).
1. if a ball, when driving on n° 10, comes to rest on n° 9, that ball is not OB
2. a player is allowed to play the first 9 holes because they are not part of the stipulated round

Thanks and regards – JMC
JMC

Re: R 7-1

Postby MikeH » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:02 pm

1. Agreed
2. I would suggest that the Committee make it clear in the CoC where practice is permitted
What if it's a 9 hole course?
On a 18 hole course what happens if playing # 9 and the player strays onto #10 ? Isn't he now on the competition course ? what now, abandon the ball?
IMHO I'd stay away from this one :-)
MikeH

Your location: Nelson, New Zealand

Postby RJM » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:45 pm

1. Unless the Committee has marked such holes as OOB, they are part of the course.
2. See no. 1 - unless those holes have been marked as out of bounds, they are still part of the course. "Stipulated round" does not define the course - Committees do. Committees also determine where/when "practice" on the course is permitted.
RJM

Postby JMC » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:03 am

Thank you MikeH and RJM for your input. Yes, I agree – Note under R 7-1 is the solution to avoid any possible error!
Regards – JMC
JMC

Postby Doug » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:41 pm

So, if the competition is on holes 10-18 in the afternoon and he plays 1-9 in the morning he is DQd?
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby RJM » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:57 am

If he has breached Rule 7-1 by playing on the competition course prior to his stipulated round, he would incur the penalty for that breach, which is DQ. I see nothing in the previous posts that said the Committee had authorized practice on the course.
RJM

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings