Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ranking calculation in an eclectic competition

Use this section to get an answer to your rules questions.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Ranking calculation in an eclectic competition

Postby gkwadraat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't understand how the ranking is determined in an eclectic competition, when there is a tie in the total number of strokes for two players with a different handicap?

With a tie in strokeplay, where the result is based on the net score, the player with the highest handicap has an 'advantage' (more strokes) over the player with the lowest handicap. So, if two players both end up with a total score of, for example, 40 stableford points, the player with the lowest handicap wins.

In an eclectic competition, however, the result is based on the gross score (the total of the best actual number of strokes on each hole). So there is no handicap calculation. In this case, the player with the lowest handicap has an advantage (more experience) over the player with the highest handicap. I would therefore assume that, if two players both end up with a total score of, for example, 65 strokes, the player with the highest handicap should win. But, according to the ranking list in my home club, this is not how the ranking is decided in case of a tie.

Can someone clarify this to me?

Thanks
gkwadraat

Your location: belgium

Re: Ranking calculation in an eclectic competition

Postby Doug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:33 pm

If it has been declared to be a gross eclectic, handicaps should have no part in it.
The result should be determined by either the conventional back 9 etc applied to the gross eclectic score on those holes, by a play off of some sort or by lot.

If it is net, it gets more complicated. I am checking to see what options (if any) our software provides.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby gkwadraat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Doug wrote:the conventional back 9 etc applied to the gross eclectic score on those holes

Thanks for your feedback, Doug. I'm in my rookie year, so I have no clue what you mean by that. Can you somewhat clarify this?
gkwadraat

Your location: belgium

Postby Doug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:23 pm

The conventional way of determining a tie in an 18 hole scratch (gross) strokeplay competition is to take the best score over the last nine holes. If still tied, take the last six, then last three, then last hole.
That usually settles it. If it doesn't, spin a coin, draw lots or do whatever you like.
Doug
Site Admin

Your location: UK

Postby RJM » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:55 pm

While the method of breaking ties that Doug has suggested is the method recommended in the Rule book, the actual way that ties will be broken is up to the Committee in charge of the competition (Rule 33-6) and it should be announced in advance of the competition.
RJM

Return to Get a Ruling