Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Re-playing a stroke from GUR

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

Re-playing a stroke from GUR

Postby 999Q » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 pm

A player decides not to take relief for his ball lying in GUR and makes his stroke. The ball hits an overhead power line and, under a Local Rule, the stroke must be replayed. What are the rulings in these two situations?
a) The player now wishes to take relief from GUR before making his next stroke.
b) The player drops the ball in GUR at the point where he last played from, but does not like the resulting lie and wishes to change his mind and take relief from GUR.

Barry
999Q

Your location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Re-playing a stroke from GUR

Postby RJM » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 pm

In my opinion, the player must drop his ball as near as possible to the spot from where the cancelled stroke was made (see Local Rule in 33-8/13). Once dropped, he has all his options available to him. He can play it from where it came to rest, or, since his ball lies in GUR, he can take relief under 25-1.

A somewhat related discussion here- http://www.leithsociety.com/cgi-bin/bbs ... d;id=89210
RJM

Postby dormie1360 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I recently got "schooled" on this very topic in another thread. I recently asked a RB about it for conformation.

RJM's opinion is the same as I was told by the RB. Cancel and Replays are treated no different than any other rule that requires the use of R20-5. Once the ball is put back in play the player has a new situation.
Regards,
John A.
dormie1360

Your location: Louisville, KY

Postby 999Q » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks, it all makes sense to me once I read the recommended wording for the Local Rule, as in D33-8/13.

Barry
999Q

Your location: Dublin, Ireland

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings