Welcome
Welcome to golfrules

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

A quiz question basic +

Use this forum to discuss hypos' and what meanings lie behind the rules. Owing to some unwanted visitors it is now necessary to register as a member to post any questions or answers you may have regarding the Rules of Golf.
once you have done that you will be able to post.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
We do not generally discuss H/cap questions but there is no harm in trying, someone on the forum may know the answer. For H/Cap questions WWW.handicapmaster.org is recommended.

Moderators: DC, Ron, Johanna

A quiz question basic +

Postby Richard J S » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:53 am

I have prepared some questions for my Golf Club's regular newsletter.
Some are elementary and some demand something more. Coincidentally one of the questions involves "lie".
I would appreciate any comments.The idea is to educate Newsletter readers rather than test. Of course some, or should I say a few, will relish the test.

Q A player accidentally treads lightly on her ball lying in rough through the green. It moves down only about 5mm and does not come back to its original position. Because the ball only moved slightly downwards not to the side, there is no penalty for moving her ball.
True
False

A False
Refer to Definition of Move or Moved. A ball is deemed to have moved if it leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place. The direction of movement is immaterial. Refer Decision 18/1. If the player plays the ball without replacing it she will incur a 2 stroke penalty. If she replaces it before playing it the penalty will be only 1 stroke. Rule 18-2 applies. Note the player must do her best to replace her ball exactly**. If the original lie has been altered as is probable in this case the ball must be placed in the nearest lie most similar to the original lie that is not more than one club-length from the original lie, not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. More details may be found in Rule 20-3b.
** You must try to do a good job of replacing no matter what the amount of movement has been. Saying it is too hard and not trying is unacceptable.
Richard Soady
Richard J S

Return to Rules of Golf discussions and meanings